To drive legally in Arkansas you have to obtain a license plate. There are different requirements to obtain it.
Application for an Arkansas license plate
In order to have a license plate, you must apply for it within 30 days after purchasing a car. You have four ways to apply for a license plate in Arkansas.
- The first way for applying for a license is in person.
- The second way is via email.
- Then the next way to apply for a license is online.
- And the last way for applying is by phone.
The most commonly used ways are online public databases and making a request to the Arkansas Department of Motor Vehicles.
If you want to apply for a license plate via mail, you have to send your request to this mail.
Arkansas Department of Motor Vehicle
1900 W 7th St, Ste 1100
Little Rock, AR 72201
If you want to apply for a license plate by phone, you need to call: 501-682-4692.
And the online application is easy too. You need to visit the Department of Financial Affairs website and follow the necessary steps.
Categories of Arkansas license plate
The state requires only one plate on the backside of the car. There are 4 categories for the Arkansas license plate. Here there are:
- The first category is College.
- The next one is Persons with Disabilities.
- The third category is Military.
- And the next one is Special Interest.
Here are the forms to apply for your license plate.
The requirements to register a vehicle
In order to get a license plate, you need to register your vehicle. So to register it you need to provide documents. Here they are:
- Firstly, you must provide proof of ownership such as a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin or just a vehicle title
- Secondly, you have to provide a signed copy of a lien agreement
- Thirdly, you must provide the application for vehicle registration
- Fourthly, you have to the odometer disclosure statement for vehicles less than ten years old
- Then, you must provide a VIN verification
- After this, you have to provide proof of Arkansas auto insurance
- And lastly, you have to pay registration fees
Costs to get an Arkansas license plate
The fees of vehicles vary based on different circumstances like
- Types of vehicle
- Title fees
- Gross weight
- City and county taxes
- License plate
- If your vehicle is 3,000 pounds and under it, you have to pay $17.00.
- But if your car is 3,001-4,500 pounds, you need to pay $25.00.
- You have to pay $30.00 in case your car is 4,501 pounds and over.
- For vans and trucks, you have to pay $21.00.
- You must pay $3.00 for motorcycles less than 250 ccs.
- And for motorcycles over 250 ccs you need to pay $7.00.
The fee for late registration is $3.00 every 10 days.
Personalized license plate
Some people want to have personalized license plates, and for that, there are some parts and steps to do.
Part 1- you have to decide on a message for your personalized license plate.
- Your first step is choosing a message, you have to memorize different messages as yours cannot be available.
- The second step is visiting the website in order to check its availability.
- The next step is selecting the correct plate type for your vehicle. Whether it is Auto/Pickup/Van or Motorcycle.
- Then, enter your desired message on the plate.
Only these kinds of personalized combinations are allowed to have.
- You can have three letters like (ABC or A B C)
- Four letters can precede or follow one or two numbers like (ABCD23)
- If you want to have five letters only one number can be proceeded or followed (ABCDE2)
- Or you can have only six letters on your personalized plate-like (ABCDEF)
- And lastly, except for motorcycles, you can have seven letters like (ABCDEFG)
- The last step of part one is previewing and confirming your personalized plate.
Part 2- you have to submit the payment and order your personalized license plate.
- Your first step here is selecting the payment method, whether you are going to pay by credit card or electronic check. If you pay by electronic check, you have to fill in this information.
- Firstly, you must provide your name.
- Then, you need to fill in your address.
- Thirdly, you have to provide your phone number.
- After this, you have to provide your email.
- Then, your bank account type and number are needed, too.
- And lastly, you need to provide your routing number.
- Your next step is submitting your order. Orders are accepted weekly, on Fridays.
Part 3- you have to obtain your new plate.
- Your first step is receiving a notification that your plate is in the Personalized Plates office.
- Your next step is choosing how you want to receive it. You have two options: pick up your plate in the office or have your new license plate mailed to you.
- And finally, your last step is installing the plate.
The fee for a personalized license plate in Arkansas is $25.00 annually and the regular registration fee of a vehicle.
Arkansas License Plate types
There are different types of license plates in Arkansas. Here they are:
- The first type is passenger cars, trucks, and vans
- The second one is motorcycles.
- Then, the third type is motorhomes.
- And the last type is all-terrain vehicles.
As it is already mentioned the license must be on the rear, but sometimes some vehicles have plates on the front, too. Rear licenses also have validation stickers, which will state the expiration date of the registration.
Replacement of an Arkansas license plate
If you lost your license plate or it is damaged or stolen, you need to replace it as soon as possible. In order to replace it, you have two options: applying for it online and in person.
- If you want to replace it online, you have to make a request from the Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles. For the application, you need to provide some information.
- Firstly, you have to provide your vehicle identification number.
- Secondly, you have to provide your license plate number.
- Then, you need to present the zip code, where your car is registered.
- After that, you have to provide your driver’s license number.
- And lastly, you need to pay the fees.
- But if you want to replace it in person, you have to go to the local DFA office. And follow the below-mentioned steps.
- First, you have to fill in the Vehicle registration application.
- Then you have to provide your name, address, and AR driver’s license number.
- You have to provide proof of identity: passport, driver’s license, or birth certificate.
- After that, you will need to provide the license plate number, make, model, year, color, and VIN.
- Then, you have to indicate which type of vehicle registration document you need to replace.
- You have to describe why you want to replace it.
- And lastly, you have to pay all the necessary fees.
Your vanity plate application may be refused for many reasons, check our article on Arkansas banned license plates.